Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sheep and Wool Festival

pen & ink with watercolor sketch: sheep portraits, tiny young woman with her much larger sheep.
Sheep competition

Sheep… I'd need more time to look at them to get their anatomy better and let's not forget they're covered in wool. I tried sketching their faces: all different. And their coats, some tight like a Berber carpet, some more like people hair, dread locks. The contestant in the foreground above appeared to have gotten himself a high-top fade.  Did this "do" occur naturally or did his shepherd fix it that way?  I couldn't figure out all the criteria the sheep judge was using, he felt their coats, their legs and backs. He worked at a clip, signaling his decisions with hand motions, making color commentary and encouragement. Their shepherds kept trying to coax the sheep into a stance, as if they were show dogs. No one seemed fazed at all that the sheep relieved themselves almost continually during the process. It didn't seem to count against a contestant.
Petite young woman with her sheep.
Young competitor

WOOL. We went all the way to the festival of yarn and fiber knowing we did NOT NEED ANOTHER THING. Madeline got a few silk hankies for Nuno felting and for our felting friend, Linda who couldn't make it. I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING! Nothing called out to me. That is how big my stash is already. I couldn't even make a good excuse for the fiber blending board I saw in person, which I've been gazing at online, where your brain can interpose a great many more possibilities for an item than reality may allow.  
All I bought was a hamburger and fries so I could have the dense calories needed to keep trudging around the fair grounds sucking up fibery goodness with my eyes.
Our operating premise for the trip (I thought it was a pretense really) was that we would go to Sheep & Wool to sketch. My brain snickered at me every time I thought it. Nevertheless it was sketches: 3. Bags of wool: 0. 
House with a view of mountains across the Hudson. Fall foliage, afternoon sun.
Cold Spring, New York
On Sunday after the festival we drove to Cold Spring, NY. It's right on the Hudson, a ferry deposits tourists. They stroll around just as they do in other places full up on the quaint. The mountains on the other side are majestic. Architecture and landscape, I suck it up with my eyes.
photograph
Happy to meet Sonya Philip again.






1 comment:

  1. You're funny. I like your drawings. I like how you write about your life and where you put your attention.

    ReplyDelete