Thursday, October 31, 2013

VIrtual Paintout

Bienvenidos a La Perla

Sometimes I check out the Virtual Paintout website to see where they're off to next. The month of October's "destination" was Lima, Peru. I looked around Lima via Google maps all month before I found this view. To me Lima appears a little grim, lots of cement and somewhat arid, and not heavily traveled by the Google maps mobile. The blue dots get pretty sparse. This little island of welcome sits in an intersection facing a highway. The pool was not doing anything when the maps mobile went by but I did see a night time photo when the fountain was turned on and lit up. Still I wonder at the concept. Does a visitor stand on the traffic island and pray or sit on the little red benches behind the statue and look at the statue's back? Perhaps it serves as a landmark for the area which, like a lot of my own country, is given over to urban sprawl with a lot of sameness.

No comments:

Post a Comment