Thursday, October 31, 2013

Good Company

Voorhees, Ross, Amill and Caswell
 My cousin Margie chose Trinity Church cemetery as her final resting place. She was 90. I hadn't been here since her mother's,  my Grandma Jenny's 60th wedding anniversary party. I was a teenager when my sister and I wandered through here reading tombstones. Here I found a little yellow tobacco tin I still keep buttons in. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. 
At the top of the hill Mayor Ed Koch is buried. John James Audubon's marker is an obelisk nearer the Church of the Intercession

The Middle Redoubt, Trinity Cemetery
Also in the cemetery is this marker citing the location as the Middle Redoubt …"built by the American army 1776, at this point in 1776 under General Washington occurred some of the fiercest fighting of the battle of Washington Heights."
Upper Manhattan is wonderfully hilly and from this point down to the Hudson river is a pretty steep decline. 
This spot is also not far from the highest (natural) point in Manhattan, the Morris Jumel mansion where Gen. George Washington was able to look down and see what the British were getting up to during the Revolutionary War. If you visit the Jumel Mansion, you may feel the presence of the slaves who tended the place. I felt it through the bare ground under very large trees on the property. I could see someone pulling a rake through the sand to remove dead leaves and make patterns; something my great aunt Anna did in her front yard before Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment